Former judge gets 3 years jail for taking bribe
New Delhi: A former judge was sentenced to three years in jail on Saturday for taking Rs 2000 as bribe 26 years ago, with the court saying that a judge`s ethical firmness is the need of the hour for society as people`s confidence in judiciary is getting shattered by the day
74-year-old former judge Gulab Tulsiyani was handed down the jail term by Special CBI Judge VK Maheshwari who held him guilty of demanding and accepting illegal gratification for disposal of a factory challan case in 1986 during his tenure as a metropolitan magistrate at a Patiala House court here.
The court, which also imposed a fine of Rs 50,000 on the former metropolitan magistrate, however, suspended his sentence till May 28 after the convict expressed his wish to go in appeal against his conviction and sentencing.
While releasing him on an interim bail on a personal bond of Rs 50,000 with one surety of same amount, the court asked Tulsiyani to appear before it on May 29.
"Judicial office is an office of public trust, therefore high integrity, honesty, ethical firmness is the requirement of society from the judge. A judge`s conduct is expected to be judged by standards higher than that expected from any other public servant.
"The confidence in judiciary is getting shattered day by day. Today judiciary is suffering from self-inflicted wounds. Judiciary must take utmost care to see that the temple of justice does not crack from inside, which will lead to a catastrophe in the justice delivery system resulting in the failure of public confidence in the system."
The special judge also said in order to keep the "stream of justice clean and pure", a judge must be endowed with "sterling character, unimpeachable integrity and upright behaviour".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof