Former Lt Governor of Puducherry Rajni Rai passes away
Nagpur: Former Lieutenant Governor of Puducherry and noted academician Dr Rajni Rai passed away in the wee hours Thursday at her residence, family sources said.
Rai, 83, is survived by a son and three daughters.
A former principal of a local girls college, Rai was an active member of BJP women`s wing.
She was Lt Governor of Puducherry from April 1998 to July 2002.
Rai was accorded a state funeral as her body wrapped in tri-colour was taken to a local crematorium.
District Collector Saurabh Rao, Commissioner of Police, KK Pathak, SP Nagpur rural Dr Manoj Sharma and city Mayor Anil Sole were present at the funeral.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram