Former Lt Governor of Puducherry Rajni Rai passes away
Nagpur: Former Lieutenant Governor of Puducherry and noted academician Dr Rajni Rai passed away in the wee hours Thursday at her residence, family sources said.
Rai, 83, is survived by a son and three daughters.
A former principal of a local girls college, Rai was an active member of BJP women`s wing.
She was Lt Governor of Puducherry from April 1998 to July 2002.
Rai was accorded a state funeral as her body wrapped in tri-colour was taken to a local crematorium.
District Collector Saurabh Rao, Commissioner of Police, KK Pathak, SP Nagpur rural Dr Manoj Sharma and city Mayor Anil Sole were present at the funeral.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Actor-politician Ramya says 'Pakistan not hell', faces sedition charge
- After NEET, govt works on National Authority for Testing for engineering admissions
- SHOCKING! Hyderabad woman arrested for carrying 2 Kg gold in her underwear at Delhi airport
- Thailand military court opens trial in Bangkok shrine blast
- How to overcome your jetlag?