Former Lt Governor of Puducherry Rajni Rai passes away
Nagpur: Former Lieutenant Governor of Puducherry and noted academician Dr Rajni Rai passed away in the wee hours Thursday at her residence, family sources said.
Rai, 83, is survived by a son and three daughters.
A former principal of a local girls college, Rai was an active member of BJP women`s wing.
She was Lt Governor of Puducherry from April 1998 to July 2002.
Rai was accorded a state funeral as her body wrapped in tri-colour was taken to a local crematorium.
District Collector Saurabh Rao, Commissioner of Police, KK Pathak, SP Nagpur rural Dr Manoj Sharma and city Mayor Anil Sole were present at the funeral.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok