Former Lt Governor of Puducherry Rajni Rai passes away
Nagpur: Former Lieutenant Governor of Puducherry and noted academician Dr Rajni Rai passed away in the wee hours Thursday at her residence, family sources said.
Rai, 83, is survived by a son and three daughters.
A former principal of a local girls college, Rai was an active member of BJP women`s wing.
She was Lt Governor of Puducherry from April 1998 to July 2002.
Rai was accorded a state funeral as her body wrapped in tri-colour was taken to a local crematorium.
District Collector Saurabh Rao, Commissioner of Police, KK Pathak, SP Nagpur rural Dr Manoj Sharma and city Mayor Anil Sole were present at the funeral.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional