Former Navy officer was founder-member of Adarsh Society?
Mumbai: The name of another senior officer surfaced in the controversy over Adarsh Housing Society scam as documents have emerged to show that Western Naval Commander Vice Admiral Sanjeev Bhasin was one of its founder members.
The document--Form of Resolution Electing A Chief
Promoter And Giving Him Authority for Doing Certain Acts On
Behalf of The Proposed Society--made available by
sources in the government who do not wish to be identified,
shows Bhasin as one of the promoters.
The date and time of the meeting, however, are not mentioned.
Bhasin, then a Rear Admiral, is one of the 8 members who have signed the document. Others include Lt Gen K S Brar (Retd), VADM M J Singh, Commander V K Janardhanan, Commander J Paul, Commander Rajeev Chandoke (who has not
signed) and RADM K Mohan Rao.
The authority was vested in CDR John E Mathew as the chief promoter of the proposed Adarsh society-plot number c-600, the document says.
It was Bhasin who had brought the spotlight on the present row when he wrote to the Navy chief on July 5 this year warning of a conspiracy to take over the prime land
reserved for war widows and Kargil veterans.
Bhasin had said the building in plush Colaba area adjacent to a planned helipad and other military installations, had violated the coastal regulation zone limit of a maximum height of 30 metres and gone up to 100 metres.
3 former chiefs of defence services General Deepak Kapoor, Admiral Madhavendra Singh and General N C Vij, besides a host of politicians and bureaucrats figure in the list of allotees in the apartment building. Three of Chief Minister Ashok Chavan`s kin also owned flats in the building.
CBI is investigating the matter and the state government revoked occupancy certificates following the uproar.
When contacted, Bhasin said "I have nothing to do with Adarsh society and becoming its member is completely out of question."
"I don`t know what kind of documents are these having no date and time of the meeting they are claiming. I cannot comment on them," he said.
Bhasin said he neither applied for any membership nor attended any meeting but wrote about irregularities of the society to the State Government and other agencies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'