Former NCERT Director conferred international award
New Delhi: Former NCERT Director J S Rajput
was today conferred the `Jan Amos Comenius Medal and
Certificate` for exceptional achievements in the fields of
educational research and innovation, five years after he was
declared a recipient.
The award instituted jointly by the Czech Republic and
UNESCO was announced in 2004 for Rajput, but was delayed after
the HRD Ministry wrote to UNESCO, saying that certain
inquiries were ordered against him.
Rajput`s tenure as NCERT Director had come under
controversy for alleged saffronisation of history books during
the NDA regime.
However, the inquiry was subsequently dropped and the
MHRD then wrote to the UNESCO to release the award.
Rajput was presented the award by Jan Krueter, Charge
d`Affaires of the Embassy of the Czech Republic and Warren L
Mellor, UNESCO Representative to India in the capital today.
After receiving the award, Rajput said it was a matter
of satisfaction for him that the Supreme Court had upheld the
National Curriculum Framework for School Education of 2002 and
rejected contentions that it was against secular values.
Comenius was a Czech teacher, scientist, writer and
educator. The award was instituted in 1992 on the occassion of
the 400th anniversary of his birth.
It is granted to individual educators, scientists or to
groups of educators after they are identified through National
Commissions for UNESCO.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why