Former NCERT Director conferred international award
New Delhi: Former NCERT Director J S Rajput
was today conferred the `Jan Amos Comenius Medal and
Certificate` for exceptional achievements in the fields of
educational research and innovation, five years after he was
declared a recipient.
The award instituted jointly by the Czech Republic and
UNESCO was announced in 2004 for Rajput, but was delayed after
the HRD Ministry wrote to UNESCO, saying that certain
inquiries were ordered against him.
Rajput`s tenure as NCERT Director had come under
controversy for alleged saffronisation of history books during
the NDA regime.
However, the inquiry was subsequently dropped and the
MHRD then wrote to the UNESCO to release the award.
Rajput was presented the award by Jan Krueter, Charge
d`Affaires of the Embassy of the Czech Republic and Warren L
Mellor, UNESCO Representative to India in the capital today.
After receiving the award, Rajput said it was a matter
of satisfaction for him that the Supreme Court had upheld the
National Curriculum Framework for School Education of 2002 and
rejected contentions that it was against secular values.
Comenius was a Czech teacher, scientist, writer and
educator. The award was instituted in 1992 on the occassion of
the 400th anniversary of his birth.
It is granted to individual educators, scientists or to
groups of educators after they are identified through National
Commissions for UNESCO.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday