Former PM Gujral comes out in support of Anna
New Delhi: Coming out in support of Anna
Hazare, former Prime Minister I K Gujral on Tuesday said the
Gandhian`s campaign against corruption has made the common man
feel empowered and realise that he can be an "agent of change"
in the society.
In a letter to Hazare, Gujral appreciated his "singular
effort to galvanise" the entire nation of the issue of
fighting corruption, which has spread to every organ of the
society like a "cancer".
"I dare say that your clarion call has stirred our nation
in a manner that is reminiscent of our Independence struggle,
when young and old, rich and the poor selflessly dedicated
themselves for the success of a movement that shaped our
future," he said in the letter.
Noting that a "corrupt nation" cannot stay great for any
sustained period, he said, "This is a decisive time and if our
Parliament does not act now, history and posterity will not
forgive us for squandering away our golden moment".
Recalling that he made a similar appeal to the people 14
years ago from the ramparts of Red Fort, Gujral said, "What a
Prime Minister could not achieve, a humble Gandhian has
managed to -- that is the essence of this nation`s greatness".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing