Former PM IK Gujral cremated with full state honours
New Delhi: Inder Kumar Gujral, who was India`s prime minister for 11 months in 1997-98, was on Saturday cremated here with full state honours.
Gujral died here on Friday just four days before his 93rd birthday. Known as a gentleman politician, Gujral died at 3.27 pm at a Gurgaon hospital of lung infection.
Amid prayers and a 21-gun salute, his body was consigned to flames at Smriti Sthal on the banks of Yamuna where President Pranab Mukherjee, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Vice President Hamid Ansari and UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi were also present.
The last rites were performed by his two sons, including Akali Dal MP Naresh Gujral, and his grandson at Smriti Sthal, located between Jawaharlal Nehru`s memorial `Shanti Van` and Lal Bahadur Shastri`s `Vijay Ghat`.
Defence Minister AK Antony, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde, Commerce Minister Anand Sharma, Law Minister Ashwani Kumar, Farooq Abdullah, Jaipal Reddy, BJP leaders LK Advani and Arun Jaitley, Punjab Chief Minister Prakash Singh Badal, Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda, INLD chief Om Prakash Chautala, LJP`s Ramvilas Paswan, JD-S` Danish Ali, Amar Singh and some senior bureaucrats attended the cremation.
Diplomats from various countries were also present.
The President, Vice President, Prime Minister, Gandhi, Antony, Shinde, Badal, Advani, Jitendra Singh (Mos) and others laid wreaths on the body.
The body, draped in tricolour, was brought to Smriti Sthal from his 5, Janpath residence in a flower bedecked gun-carriage accompanied by military personnel and close family.
Officers from the three armed forces carried on their shoulders the mortal remains of Gujral to the cremation ground as he was accorded a state funeral. Gujral (92), who led a rickety coalition in late 1990s and was known for `Gujral Doctrine` of five principles for maintaining good neighbourly relations, breathed his last at a private hospital in nearby Gurgaon last afternoon.
He leaves behind two sons, one of whom Naresh Gujral is a Rajya Sabha MP and an Akali Dal leader, and brother Satish Gujral, who is a prominent painter and architect.
His wife Sheila, who died in 2011, was a poet.
Earlier in the day, the Prime Minister and a host of leaders visited Gujral`s residence to pay homage to him.
In his message, Singh said, "In the sad demise of Gujral, our country has lost a freedom fighter, a great patriot and a great scholar statesman. I join the nation in expressing our grief and sorrow at the demise of great son of India."
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says