Former SC judge asks KGB to come clean
Thiruvananthapuram: Former Supreme Court judge K T Thomas has asked ex-CJI K G Balakrishnan to take the initiative in bringing out the truth regarding allegations of disproportionate wealth levelled against his relatives.
"The truth should come out. It is not the necessity of Justice Balakrishnan alone. It is the need of the nation and the judiciary," Justice Thomas said in an interview to a local television channel.
"I don`t know what could be the mechanism for inquiry against retired judges. In this case, Balakrishnan, who is now chairman of the National Human Rights Commission, himself could write to the President of India to order a probe to prove his innocence," he said.
If he is fully convinced that he is clean and that no one had misused his position when he was presiding over the apex court, he should write to the President himself....It is imperative on his part to come clean out of the allegations, the former Supreme Court judge said.
"There is no dispute that the allegations against him are serious. But the allegations need not be true simply because they have been levelled," Thomas, who had worked as co-judge of Balakrishnan in both the Kerala High Court and Supreme Court, said.
Thomas said it was unfortunate that allegations against the Judiciary were coming up in recent times.
"Judiciary has got a vital role to play in Indian democracy. As a person who has served the system for a long period, I am pained," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing