Former SPG chief Wanchoo new Goa Governor
New Delhi: Former SPG chief B V Wanchoo was today named as the new Governor of Goa while E S L Narasimhan and K Sankaranarayanan will have fresh terms as Governors of Andhra Pradesh and Maharashtra respectively.
Former Madhya Pradesh minister and ex-MP Aziz Qureshi was appointed as the next Governor of Uttarakhand replacing Margaret Alva who will move to Rajasthan as Governor for the remainder of her term, Rashtrapati Bhavan announced tonight.
A 1976-batch IPS officer from West Bengal cadre, Wanchoo retired as the head of the Special Protection Group on October 31 last year after heading the elite unit for more than seven years.
He was joint director in the Intelligence Bureau when he was picked up by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to head the SPG in 2004.
The appointments were cleared at the Congress Core Group meeting on Friday presided over by party President Sonia Gandhi with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh by her side.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof