Former SPG chief Wanchoo new Goa Governor
New Delhi: Former SPG chief B V Wanchoo was today named as the new Governor of Goa while E S L Narasimhan and K Sankaranarayanan will have fresh terms as Governors of Andhra Pradesh and Maharashtra respectively.
Former Madhya Pradesh minister and ex-MP Aziz Qureshi was appointed as the next Governor of Uttarakhand replacing Margaret Alva who will move to Rajasthan as Governor for the remainder of her term, Rashtrapati Bhavan announced tonight.
A 1976-batch IPS officer from West Bengal cadre, Wanchoo retired as the head of the Special Protection Group on October 31 last year after heading the elite unit for more than seven years.
He was joint director in the Intelligence Bureau when he was picked up by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to head the SPG in 2004.
The appointments were cleared at the Congress Core Group meeting on Friday presided over by party President Sonia Gandhi with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh by her side.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- Europe to 'free up space' by kicking out tens of thousands of Pakistanis
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane
- I was shivering while interviewing Nirbhaya's friend, says Ramnath Goenka awardee Sudhir Chaudhary
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan