Former Union minister Shankaranand passes away
Belguam: Former Union minister and veteran Congress leader B Shankaranand died at a
private hospital here in the wee hours Friday following cardiac arrest, family sources said.
Shankaranand, 84 leaves behind two sons and five daughters. A Gandhi family loyalist, he was an eight time Lok Sabha MP from Chikkodi Reserved Constituency.
Sankaranand had served in the ministries headed by Indira Gandhi, Rajiv Gandhi
and P V Narasimha Rao.
He also headed the Parliamentary Committee that probed the controversial bofors issue.
Shankaranand who had suffered from kidney failure was admitted to the KLE Society Medical College Hospital two days ago.
The veteran Congress leader has also suffered a stroke. The end came at 150 hours, sources said.
Shankarananand who had the distinction of winning eight consecutive Lok Sabha election was however humbled by a political green horn Ratnamala Savanur in 1996.
One of his son Om Prakash Kanagali was also a former minister in Karnataka.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NT Awards 2016: Zeenews.com bags 'Best News Channel Website' honour
- Son of Kota Central jail prisoner clears IIT entrance exam
- Cabinet approves Act allowing malls, restaurants, theaters to stay open 24×7
- New framework that can predict terrorist attacks developed!
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Mumbai architect receives Rs 5 crore extortion call from gangster Ravi Pujari
- 7th Pay Commission: Salary hike to boost demand in consumer durables sector
- 7th Pay Commission: Unions reject Centre's pay hike, threaten to go on strike
- It's a 'happy-sad feeling' for Anushka Sharma as 'Phillauri' shoot comes to an end!
- Lankan Navy damages seven boats of Tamil Nadu fishermen