Former Union minister Shankaranand passes away
Belguam: Former Union minister and veteran Congress leader B Shankaranand died at a
private hospital here in the wee hours Friday following cardiac arrest, family sources said.
Shankaranand, 84 leaves behind two sons and five daughters. A Gandhi family loyalist, he was an eight time Lok Sabha MP from Chikkodi Reserved Constituency.
Sankaranand had served in the ministries headed by Indira Gandhi, Rajiv Gandhi
and P V Narasimha Rao.
He also headed the Parliamentary Committee that probed the controversial bofors issue.
Shankaranand who had suffered from kidney failure was admitted to the KLE Society Medical College Hospital two days ago.
The veteran Congress leader has also suffered a stroke. The end came at 150 hours, sources said.
Shankarananand who had the distinction of winning eight consecutive Lok Sabha election was however humbled by a political green horn Ratnamala Savanur in 1996.
One of his son Om Prakash Kanagali was also a former minister in Karnataka.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Hindu community lives in constant fear in Pakistan: US lawmakers