Former WB governor Viren Shah`s death condoled in RS
New Delhi: The Rajya Sabha on Monday mourned the death of former West Bengal governor and industrialist Viren J Shah.
As the House met for the day, Chairman Hamid Ansari mentioned of the passing away of Shah on March 9 at the age of 86.
Shah was on a holiday to Jordan with his wife when he suffered a heart attack.
An industrialist and public worker, Shah was elected to Lok Sabha from Junagadh in Gujarat in 1967 and was also member of the Rajya Sabha twice from August 1975 to August 1981 and from April 1990 to April 1996, Ansari said, adding he was the West Bengal Governor from 1999 to 2004.
"In passing away of Shah, the country has lost an outstanding administrator and a distinguished parliamentarian," he said after which the House observed silence as a mark of respect.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- In awe of the Master! WATCH how Sakshi Malik requested Sachin Tendulkar to take a selfie with her brother
- Coal imports in July dip 11% to 18 MT
- Sania Mirza overcomes Rio failure; lifts the Connecticut Open trophy to gear up for US Open
- MASSIVE! Salman Khan's 'Sultan' celebrates 50 days in theatres – Details inside
- Vishal Dadlani apologises, quits politics after controversial Jain monk tweet