Former WB governor Viren Shah`s death condoled in RS
New Delhi: The Rajya Sabha on Monday mourned the death of former West Bengal governor and industrialist Viren J Shah.
As the House met for the day, Chairman Hamid Ansari mentioned of the passing away of Shah on March 9 at the age of 86.
Shah was on a holiday to Jordan with his wife when he suffered a heart attack.
An industrialist and public worker, Shah was elected to Lok Sabha from Junagadh in Gujarat in 1967 and was also member of the Rajya Sabha twice from August 1975 to August 1981 and from April 1990 to April 1996, Ansari said, adding he was the West Bengal Governor from 1999 to 2004.
"In passing away of Shah, the country has lost an outstanding administrator and a distinguished parliamentarian," he said after which the House observed silence as a mark of respect.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!