Former WB governor Viren Shah`s death condoled in RS
New Delhi: The Rajya Sabha on Monday mourned the death of former West Bengal governor and industrialist Viren J Shah.
As the House met for the day, Chairman Hamid Ansari mentioned of the passing away of Shah on March 9 at the age of 86.
Shah was on a holiday to Jordan with his wife when he suffered a heart attack.
An industrialist and public worker, Shah was elected to Lok Sabha from Junagadh in Gujarat in 1967 and was also member of the Rajya Sabha twice from August 1975 to August 1981 and from April 1990 to April 1996, Ansari said, adding he was the West Bengal Governor from 1999 to 2004.
"In passing away of Shah, the country has lost an outstanding administrator and a distinguished parliamentarian," he said after which the House observed silence as a mark of respect.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued