Formula to identify urban poor likely by May
New Delhi: The government Wednesday said the
Committee to suggest a formula for identifying BPL families is
likely to submit its report by May.
Planning Commission had constituted a Committee in 2005
under S R Hashim, to recommend suitable methodology for
identifying BPL families in urban areas.
"The report of the expert group is expected to be
submitted by May 2011," Minister of State for Planning,
Parliamentary Affairs Ashwani Kumar said in reply to Lok
At present, there is no uniform criteria for identifying
persons living below poverty line (BPL) in urban areas.
He also said his ministry is currently analysing results
of a pilot socio-economic survey and a participatory rural
appraisal exercise to finalise the methodology for conducting
the BPL Census 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Personality check: What is the colour of your eyes?
- Govt blocks over 800 porn websites – complete list
- Govt reviews porn ban order, blocks only child pornography-related websites