Forty crore Indians still live without electricity
New Delhi: Over 40 crore people living in eight crore households have not got electricity and the government is making all efforts to give them power connection as early as possible, Lok Sabha was told Thursday.
Power Minister Piyush Goyal said during Question Hour that it was "very unfortunate" that eight crore households in the country do not have power connection and this means 40 crore population are still deprived off electricity.
"Even 65 years after Independence such a large number of population does not have electricity. We have to do a lot of work. We have to remove all anomalies and as soon as possible we have to provide electricity to every household," he said.
Goyal said a substantive amount of funds have been given to all states under Rajiv Gandhi Grameen Vidyutikaran Yojana (RGGVY) but implementation of the scheme in many states were not completed yet due to various reasons, including non- availability of land to set up sub-station.
"Centre`s role is very limited in implementation of RGGVY. We cannot micro-manage everything. It is the state government which has to implement the scheme," he said.
The Minister said the total number of unelectrified villages in the country is 12,468 of which 6,882 villages are in Bihar, 3,144 villages in Odisha and 1,009 villages in Assam.
Goyal said in order to cover the villages, the RGGVY has been continued in the 12th five-year plan and 13th five-year plan covering all census villages and habitations with population of more than 100.
"As per the scheme guidelines, the stipulated period of completion of electrification work is 24 months from the date of award of contract by the respective implementing agencies," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP