Forward Bloc demands declassification of files on Netaji
Kolkata: The Forward Bloc, a party founded by Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose, on Monday objected to the Centre`s reported move to confer Bharat Ratna on the freedom fighter, saying it would `mitigate` his stature and demanded declassification of secret files on him.
"There has been no official announcement till now. But we have come to know it (conferment of Bharat Ratna) from news reports. We strongly oppose this proposal. The Bharat Ratna award will ultimately mitigate the himalyanan stature of Netaji," Forward Bloc general secretary Debabrata Biswas said.
Biswas felt that if the NDA regime was indeed so keen to honour Netaji, then they should declassify all secret files on Netaji, which can reveal the truth behind his disappearance.
"Former PM Atal Behari Vajpayee had formed Mukherjee Commission to unearth the truth. The commission has concluded that Netaji did not die in the air crash, but he could not find out what happened to Netaji due to non-cooperation by the UPA regime," Biswas said.
"Let Narendra Modi start from there and declassify all the files. He has a full majority in Parliament," he said.
Biswas also demanded that Prime Minister Narendra Modi declare January 23, birthday of Subhas Chandra Bose, as Deshprem Diwas in his speech from Red Fort on August 15.
He also demanded that the Prime Minister take steps to form a INA memorial before Red Fort as it was the same place where the trial of INA soldiers and officers took place.
When under house arrest by the British, Netaji had escaped from India in 1941 to seek international support for India`s freedom struggle.
He went missing in 1945 giving rise to India`s most talked about mystery as well as controversy ever.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video