Four held by CBI for medical admission fraud
New Delhi: Four people, including a private medical practitioner and his son, were arrested by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) in connection with a fraudulent admission into a dental surgery course, officials said Thursday.
The accused persons, who were arrested from Ashok Vihar in north Delhi Wednesday, were presented before CBI Special Judge Anu Malhotra Thursday.
Two of them were sent to judicial custody while the other two were sent to CBI custody.
Those arrested are Arun Goel, a private medical practitioner, his son Nayan Goel, Irshad Pasha alias Amit Kapoor, a conduit who owns an educational consultancy institute Asian Academy in north Delhi`s Shalimar Bagh, and Vinay Kumar.
The court sent Arun Goel and Nayan Goel to 14-day judicial custody till Aug 1 while Kapoor and Kumar were remanded in two-day CBI custody.
Arun Goel and his son moved their bail applications which were, however, dismissed by the court.
"Arun Goel, who runs his clinic in Ashok Vihar, approached Kapoor for the admission of his son in a Bachelor of Dental Surgery course in a Delhi college," said a CBI official.
Kapoor and other private persons illegally arranged for admission of Nayan Goel to the BDS course by using a dummy candidate in the written examination held June 9.
For this, Kapoor allegedly charged an amount of Rs.30 lakh.
"The doctor had paid Rs.10 lakh after his son was declared successful in the entrance examination. The remaining amount was to be paid after confirmation of admission during counselling July 18," said the official.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing