Four held by CBI for medical admission fraud
New Delhi: Four people, including a private medical practitioner and his son, were arrested by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) in connection with a fraudulent admission into a dental surgery course, officials said Thursday.
The accused persons, who were arrested from Ashok Vihar in north Delhi Wednesday, were presented before CBI Special Judge Anu Malhotra Thursday.
Two of them were sent to judicial custody while the other two were sent to CBI custody.
Those arrested are Arun Goel, a private medical practitioner, his son Nayan Goel, Irshad Pasha alias Amit Kapoor, a conduit who owns an educational consultancy institute Asian Academy in north Delhi`s Shalimar Bagh, and Vinay Kumar.
The court sent Arun Goel and Nayan Goel to 14-day judicial custody till Aug 1 while Kapoor and Kumar were remanded in two-day CBI custody.
Arun Goel and his son moved their bail applications which were, however, dismissed by the court.
"Arun Goel, who runs his clinic in Ashok Vihar, approached Kapoor for the admission of his son in a Bachelor of Dental Surgery course in a Delhi college," said a CBI official.
Kapoor and other private persons illegally arranged for admission of Nayan Goel to the BDS course by using a dummy candidate in the written examination held June 9.
For this, Kapoor allegedly charged an amount of Rs.30 lakh.
"The doctor had paid Rs.10 lakh after his son was declared successful in the entrance examination. The remaining amount was to be paid after confirmation of admission during counselling July 18," said the official.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead