Four held by CBI for medical admission fraud
New Delhi: Four people, including a private medical practitioner and his son, were arrested by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) in connection with a fraudulent admission into a dental surgery course, officials said Thursday.
The accused persons, who were arrested from Ashok Vihar in north Delhi Wednesday, were presented before CBI Special Judge Anu Malhotra Thursday.
Two of them were sent to judicial custody while the other two were sent to CBI custody.
Those arrested are Arun Goel, a private medical practitioner, his son Nayan Goel, Irshad Pasha alias Amit Kapoor, a conduit who owns an educational consultancy institute Asian Academy in north Delhi`s Shalimar Bagh, and Vinay Kumar.
The court sent Arun Goel and Nayan Goel to 14-day judicial custody till Aug 1 while Kapoor and Kumar were remanded in two-day CBI custody.
Arun Goel and his son moved their bail applications which were, however, dismissed by the court.
"Arun Goel, who runs his clinic in Ashok Vihar, approached Kapoor for the admission of his son in a Bachelor of Dental Surgery course in a Delhi college," said a CBI official.
Kapoor and other private persons illegally arranged for admission of Nayan Goel to the BDS course by using a dummy candidate in the written examination held June 9.
For this, Kapoor allegedly charged an amount of Rs.30 lakh.
"The doctor had paid Rs.10 lakh after his son was declared successful in the entrance examination. The remaining amount was to be paid after confirmation of admission during counselling July 18," said the official.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL