Four killed in Guwahati-bound train attack
Guwahati: With the recovery of two more bodies, the toll in violence on board the Guwahati-bound special train carrying North East people has risen to four.
"While two bodies were recovered from a place between Belakoba and Raninagar stations, another two were found later at a place near Halakata, close to New Jalpaiguri station. Both places are in West Bengal," official sources said today.
The Northeast Frontier Railway authorities are yet not sure of the cause of the fight inside the special train number three that led to the deaths, besides injury to nine others, four of them seriously.
It is also still not clear if the four were among those fleeing the Karnataka capital fearing a backlash after the Assam violence as the police and railway authorities here remained tight-lipped pending an investigation.
However, two bodies found at Belaboka yesterday were those of passengers hailing from Hialakandi in Assam.
The sources, however, said unidentified persons attacked passengers travelling in the special train and also snatched their luggage and belongings.
Special trains were being operated by Railways from Bangalore to ferry passengers fleeing the city over fears of attacks on them sparked by rumours in the wake of Assam violence.
The injured have been admitted to North Bengal Medical College and Hospital in Siliguri.
The railway authorities had yesterday announced an ex-gratia of Rs 15,000 each to the family of two passengers whose bodies were found near Belakoba.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'