Four more die in Bihar floods; 12 lakh people affected
Patna: Four more persons died in the Bihar
floods today taking the toll to 29 as the overall flood
situation continued to be grim in 11 districts in the state,
affecting around 12 lakh people.
Four more persons -- two each in Darbhanga and
Muzaffarpur, died in flood fury, official sources said.
At least 12 people have so far died in Darbhanga district
alone, followed by Muzaffarpur (eight), two each in Purnia,
Kishanganj, Sitamarhi and Madhubani, and Supaul (1), the
Around 12 lakh people have been affected by floods in more
than 1,000 villages spread in 11 districts -- Darbhanga, West
Champaran, Gopalganj, Sitamarhi, Muzaffarpur, Saharsa, Supaul,
Madehpura, Katihar, Araria and Purnia.
State Disaster Management sources said the National
Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel were assisting in the
relief and rescue operation.
Central Water Commission sources said most of the major
rivers, including Kosi, Mahananda, Kamala Balan, Bagmati and
Adhwara group of rivers were still flowing above the danger
mark at different places along their course.
The State Water Resources Department maintained that all
the embankments within its jurisdiction were "safe"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened