Four more die in Bihar floods; 12 lakh people affected
Patna: Four more persons died in the Bihar
floods today taking the toll to 29 as the overall flood
situation continued to be grim in 11 districts in the state,
affecting around 12 lakh people.
Four more persons -- two each in Darbhanga and
Muzaffarpur, died in flood fury, official sources said.
At least 12 people have so far died in Darbhanga district
alone, followed by Muzaffarpur (eight), two each in Purnia,
Kishanganj, Sitamarhi and Madhubani, and Supaul (1), the
Around 12 lakh people have been affected by floods in more
than 1,000 villages spread in 11 districts -- Darbhanga, West
Champaran, Gopalganj, Sitamarhi, Muzaffarpur, Saharsa, Supaul,
Madehpura, Katihar, Araria and Purnia.
State Disaster Management sources said the National
Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel were assisting in the
relief and rescue operation.
Central Water Commission sources said most of the major
rivers, including Kosi, Mahananda, Kamala Balan, Bagmati and
Adhwara group of rivers were still flowing above the danger
mark at different places along their course.
The State Water Resources Department maintained that all
the embankments within its jurisdiction were "safe"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- Know the final recommendations of 7th Pay Commission in a nutshell
- Malala Yousafzai becomes millionaire with book sales, lectures
- Dennis Quaid's wife files divorce again
- RSS trained inmates of Jawahar Bagh: Ram Vriksh Yadav's 'security officer' to police
- India vs New Zealand: Indore gears up to host its first ever Test in upcoming series