Four more die in Bihar floods; 12 lakh people affected
Patna: Four more persons died in the Bihar
floods today taking the toll to 29 as the overall flood
situation continued to be grim in 11 districts in the state,
affecting around 12 lakh people.
Four more persons -- two each in Darbhanga and
Muzaffarpur, died in flood fury, official sources said.
At least 12 people have so far died in Darbhanga district
alone, followed by Muzaffarpur (eight), two each in Purnia,
Kishanganj, Sitamarhi and Madhubani, and Supaul (1), the
Around 12 lakh people have been affected by floods in more
than 1,000 villages spread in 11 districts -- Darbhanga, West
Champaran, Gopalganj, Sitamarhi, Muzaffarpur, Saharsa, Supaul,
Madehpura, Katihar, Araria and Purnia.
State Disaster Management sources said the National
Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel were assisting in the
relief and rescue operation.
Central Water Commission sources said most of the major
rivers, including Kosi, Mahananda, Kamala Balan, Bagmati and
Adhwara group of rivers were still flowing above the danger
mark at different places along their course.
The State Water Resources Department maintained that all
the embankments within its jurisdiction were "safe"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Tata Sons removes Cyrus Mistry as Chairman; Ratan Tata interim boss for 4 months