Four more die in Bihar floods; 12 lakh people affected
Patna: Four more persons died in the Bihar
floods today taking the toll to 29 as the overall flood
situation continued to be grim in 11 districts in the state,
affecting around 12 lakh people.
Four more persons -- two each in Darbhanga and
Muzaffarpur, died in flood fury, official sources said.
At least 12 people have so far died in Darbhanga district
alone, followed by Muzaffarpur (eight), two each in Purnia,
Kishanganj, Sitamarhi and Madhubani, and Supaul (1), the
Around 12 lakh people have been affected by floods in more
than 1,000 villages spread in 11 districts -- Darbhanga, West
Champaran, Gopalganj, Sitamarhi, Muzaffarpur, Saharsa, Supaul,
Madehpura, Katihar, Araria and Purnia.
State Disaster Management sources said the National
Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel were assisting in the
relief and rescue operation.
Central Water Commission sources said most of the major
rivers, including Kosi, Mahananda, Kamala Balan, Bagmati and
Adhwara group of rivers were still flowing above the danger
mark at different places along their course.
The State Water Resources Department maintained that all
the embankments within its jurisdiction were "safe"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?