Four Nigerians arrested in SMS lottery fraud case
Kohima: Four Nigerians have been arrested
in connection with a SMS lottery fraud case involving an
unsuspected victim who was duped of nearly Rs 14 lakh.
The four were brought to Dimapur yesterday from
Faridabad and New Delhi for their alleged involvement in the
fraud by which cell phone users were cheated after collecting
huge amount of money from them, police said today.
The modus operandi of the gang was to trick
unsuspecting respondents of SMS in depositing money through
cheques/drafts on the promise that they would get huge amounts
in Dollars or Pounds.
The arrests of four Nigerians, who came to India on
business visas, were followed by picking up of two persons on
September 29 last year by Dimapur police from Faridabad and
New Delhi respectively.
Police had initiated the case following a compliant
lodged by a victim from Purana Bazaar area of Dimapur on
August 17 saying he was duped off Rs 13,96,550 through the SMS
Additional Superintendent of Police I Sungit Longkumer
said the complainant received a SMS from one Peter Anderson
informing that he had won one million British pounds in a
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part IV
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat'
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat' Part II
- MUST WATCH VIDEO: 84* off 18 balls - You wont believe who is batting....
- Brace yourself, Eid is coming! New still from Salman Khan's 'Sultan' will gear you up for trailer launch
- 'India's net FDI flows to hit USD 38 billion this fiscal'
- Did you know Avika Gor also took Cannes Film Festival by storm this year! - Pics inside
- Vijay Mallya's India woes now troubling his US beer firm