Four Nigerians arrested in SMS lottery fraud case
Kohima: Four Nigerians have been arrested
in connection with a SMS lottery fraud case involving an
unsuspected victim who was duped of nearly Rs 14 lakh.
The four were brought to Dimapur yesterday from
Faridabad and New Delhi for their alleged involvement in the
fraud by which cell phone users were cheated after collecting
huge amount of money from them, police said today.
The modus operandi of the gang was to trick
unsuspecting respondents of SMS in depositing money through
cheques/drafts on the promise that they would get huge amounts
in Dollars or Pounds.
The arrests of four Nigerians, who came to India on
business visas, were followed by picking up of two persons on
September 29 last year by Dimapur police from Faridabad and
New Delhi respectively.
Police had initiated the case following a compliant
lodged by a victim from Purana Bazaar area of Dimapur on
August 17 saying he was duped off Rs 13,96,550 through the SMS
Additional Superintendent of Police I Sungit Longkumer
said the complainant received a SMS from one Peter Anderson
informing that he had won one million British pounds in a
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...