Four sacked, 15 face disciplinary action in `racist emails` case
Melbourne: Four Australian police officers
have been sacked in connection with the circulation of racist
emails and disciplinary action has been initiated against 15
While four have been sacked, one has been demoted,
another five have been fined up to 3000 dollars and placed on
12-month good behaviour bonds for taking part, an AAP report
Top police officers were caught in a racist e-mail
scandal joking about the electrocution of an Indian train
passenger and suggesting that it could be "a way to fix the
Indian student problem" in Melbourne.
The emails that were probed contain pornographic,
homophobic, racist and violent material.
The police officers of the Australian state of
Victoria circulated sickening video footage showing the death
of the man, who was travelling on the roof of a crowded train
in India, `The Herald Sun` reported today.
Victoria Police said today it would resume
disciplinary hearings this week into the circulation of
pornographic and racist emails within the force.
Nine officers will front the disciplinary panel on
October 12 and October 15, with six to be heard the following
week. Two officers quit rather than face the secret hearings.
In March, a sergeant resigned and committed suicide
after being involved in the investigation.
State Chief Commissioner Simon Overland and Premier
John Brumby have condemned the actions of the police involved.
Overland described the material as "disturbing,
offensive and gross", while Brumby said the racist e-mail was
"contrary to the views and values at the heart of the
They have been allegedly circulated by officials of
all ranks, including three superintendents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!