Four tremors in 3 weeks: Panic grips Northeast
Guwahati: Panic has gripped people in the Northeast with four earthquakes rocking the region in the past three weeks, including a 5.9 magnitude tremor on Friday, the biggest in the past nine years.
"Everyone is asking the same question - are we prepared to deal with a major disaster? We have not seen any urgency on the part of the government to activate its disaster management cells," said Arun Mahanta, a doctor.
Friday`s pre-dawn tremor was the fourth to have jolted the region in the past three weeks - an earthquake measuring 5.3 on the Richter scale took place Monday, while another of 4.9 magnitude was experienced on August 19, and a tremor of 5.6 intensity shook the region on August 11.
"A major earthquake in the region is due any time. We are saying this on the basis of studies, although earthquakes cannot be predicted as such," said Surjya Kanta Sarmah, a professor of geophysics at Gauhati University.
All the four tremors shook houses and other structures in Assam, Nagaland, Manipur and Tripura, besides being felt in Myanmar as well.
"Obviously we are worried and there is a general sense of panic among people in the entire region," said Monto Singh, a college teacher in Manipur capital Imphal.
Authorities in the Northeast are yet to react or show any urgency even after frequent quakes rocked the region.
"There should have been awareness campaigns and public announcements about the dos and don`ts in the event of an earthquake. But we have not seen any such steps from the government," said Mrinal Das, a geologist in Guwahati.
The seven northeastern states - Assam, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Tripura, Nagaland, Arunachal Pradesh and Manipur - are considered by seismologists as the sixth major earthquake prone belt in the world. The region experienced one of the worst earthquakes, measuring 8.7 on the Richter scale, in 1897 that claimed the lives of over 1,600 people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo