Four women held for kidnapping baby from Muzaffarnagar riot camps
Patiala: Three women were arrested from Dehradun and one from Patiala for allegedly kidnapping a one month old baby from Muzaffarnagar and selling it here, police said.
The four women arrested have been identified as Usha, Madhu, Anandi and Sahjahan, Patiala SSP HS Mann said, adding, that they were looking into matter to clarify whether the baby, which is a boy, was brought from the Muzaffarnagar riot camps.
Mann said the baby`s mother has been identified and a police team along with Madhu, Anandi and Sahjahan, has left for Muzaffarnagar to bring her to Patiala.
The incident surfaced when a sting operation was conducted here by various agencies including a local human rights activist Harmeet Kaur Brar and the Punjab Police.
In the act, Brar posed as a US-based NRI and a decoy customer and Usha (50) was caught selling her the baby for Rs 6.5 lakh outside Moti Bagh Gurdwara, he said.
During interrogation, Usha told police that the baby was brought on Friday from Muzaffarnagar, the already arrested kingpin of the racket and handed over to Brar, who was part of the sting operation, Mann alleged.
She said she had bought the baby from Madhu in Muzaffarnagar for Rs 1.3 lakh and had travelled to Patiala to sell it, the SSP said.
Usha also claimed that the infant`s parents, whom she doesn`t know, sold the baby for Rs 50,000 to Madhu from whom she bought it for Rs 1.3 lakh on Friday, he said.
The baby was declared in a stable condition when taken to the Rajindra Medical College and Hospital.
A case has been registered against the suspects under various provisions including Sections 363 (Abduction) and 34 (Crime done by several persons in furtherance of common intention) of the IPC and the role of the three women was under further investigation, Mann said.
Police, he said were looking for the racket, which, they believe, could involve people selling children in the riot-hit Muzaffarnagar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'