France offers expertise in urban development to India
New Delhi: Keen on cooperation in the field of urban development, France on Thursday offered its expertise in the sector to India with special focus on waste management.
"We have definitely recognised projects regarding waste management. This is a big issue. We will ask some French companies who specialise in this to come in January and have meetings with Indian local bodies to propose solutions," said Max Claudet cultural counselor at French Embassy.
The French Embassy organised a seminar today on Indo-French local cooperation in urban development and interacted with officials of various Indian local bodies and municipalities to know about their challenges.
"We came to know that Indian local bodies are very keen on developing relationship with French local authorities on concrete projects. We have identified fields which are major for Indian cities or state regarding urban development.
"It means how can a local body make the life of Indian citizen better given that they are facing a huge increase in the number of people coming to the cities. How can it be managed with providing water, power, transportation so that people do not waste time in commuting and also providing a better solution for waste management," Claudet said.
He said that this subject was very important between France and India as an MoU was signed last year between the two countries.
"We are here to implement this MoU between local bodies of both the countries. We are also representing elected local bodies in France and my target is to bring the knowledge which is in France to plug it with requests raised in India and also the other direction.
"In France too we have had a lot of request in which we can learn from what has been done in India," he said.
Officials said that the seminar highlighted urban challenges, sustainable development, waste management challenges as well as the conservation and promotion of urban heritage.
As part of the bilateral agreement on urban development signed by France and India in 2012, which aims at fostering cooperation between French and Indian local authorities, this seminar also provided an opportunity to present the training sessions offered in France in this area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city