France offers expertise in urban development to India
New Delhi: Keen on cooperation in the field of urban development, France on Thursday offered its expertise in the sector to India with special focus on waste management.
"We have definitely recognised projects regarding waste management. This is a big issue. We will ask some French companies who specialise in this to come in January and have meetings with Indian local bodies to propose solutions," said Max Claudet cultural counselor at French Embassy.
The French Embassy organised a seminar today on Indo-French local cooperation in urban development and interacted with officials of various Indian local bodies and municipalities to know about their challenges.
"We came to know that Indian local bodies are very keen on developing relationship with French local authorities on concrete projects. We have identified fields which are major for Indian cities or state regarding urban development.
"It means how can a local body make the life of Indian citizen better given that they are facing a huge increase in the number of people coming to the cities. How can it be managed with providing water, power, transportation so that people do not waste time in commuting and also providing a better solution for waste management," Claudet said.
He said that this subject was very important between France and India as an MoU was signed last year between the two countries.
"We are here to implement this MoU between local bodies of both the countries. We are also representing elected local bodies in France and my target is to bring the knowledge which is in France to plug it with requests raised in India and also the other direction.
"In France too we have had a lot of request in which we can learn from what has been done in India," he said.
Officials said that the seminar highlighted urban challenges, sustainable development, waste management challenges as well as the conservation and promotion of urban heritage.
As part of the bilateral agreement on urban development signed by France and India in 2012, which aims at fostering cooperation between French and Indian local authorities, this seminar also provided an opportunity to present the training sessions offered in France in this area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch
- In Pics: Indian Super League 2015 opening ceremony!