France refuses to interfere in rape case
Bangalore: France on Monday refused to interfere in a rape case involving an official of its consulate here, saying Indian law will take its own course as the accused does not enjoy diplomatic immunity.
French government sources said in Delhi that Indian law will take its course as the accused does not hold a diplomatic passport and enjoys no immunity.
Police have registered a case of rape against Pascal Mazurier, an official in the French Consulate General here.
"An investigation is under way for which this Consulate General is extending its full cooperation with the police and the authorities in charge in the matter," a statement issued by the Consulate-General of France said.
It said the Consulate-General has been informed about the complaint lodged regarding the rape of a minor girl who is a French national.
"The complaint names the father of the child, who is a consular agent of this Consulate-General," it added.
Meanwhile, a group of social activists held protests outside the French Consulate demanding the arrest of the accused.
Police said 30 activists belonging to an NGO, who were staging a protest in front of the Consulate-General of France here demanding arrest of the diplomat, were detained today.
Holding placards and chanting slogans against the police for their "inaction", the Action Aid Group activists demanded that the diplomat be immediately arrested.
Senior Advocate and Women`s Rights activist Pramila Nesargi said Mazurier doesn`t have diplomatic immunity and alleged that the police were just delaying the arrest.
Police had registered a case of rape against the diplomat under Section 376 of the IPC (punishment for rape).
The child`s mother Suja Jones Mazurier, an Indian, reported the case to police with the help of a Bangalore-based NGO after her maid told her that her three-and-a-half-year-old daughter, was alleged sexually abused.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city