Freedom fighter, journalist Amulya Mondal dies
Diamond Harbour: Freedom fighter and veteran journalist Amulya Mondal died at a hospital here following protracted illness, family sources said on Tuesday. He was 86.
Mondal, who participated in several of Mahatma Gandhi`s movements, passed away last night at Diamond Harbour Hospital in South 24 Parganas district, where he was admitted a week ago. Mondal was jailed for taking part in the Peasant`s Movement of 1948.
He began in journalistic career in Dainik Swadhinata, the organ of the undivided Communist Party, and later worked in various capacities in Loksebak, Dainik Paigam, Samachar Bharti and Chhapte Chhapte from where he retired in 1985.
He is survived by his wife, son and daughter. Minister of State for Information and Broadcasting, Chowdhury Mohan Jatua, condoled the death of Mondal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port
- Poll defeat triggers infighting in Congress? Now, Satyavrat Chaturvedi attacks Digvijaya Singh
- READ: Virender Sehwag's important message to parents, students after CBSE class 12 results
- Hangul, the rare Kashmir deer, may soon go extinct
- Twitter war: Verbal duel between Smriti Irani and Congress' Priyanka Chaturvedi - Know what happened
- WATCH: DD vs RCB highlights - Virat Kohli steals show with match-winning knock