Freedom fighter Lakshmi Sehgal passes away
Kanpur: Lakshmi Sehgal, a close associate of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose and the first head of the women`s wing of the Azad Hind Fauj, died around 11.20 am on Monday at a private hospital in Kanpur, her family said. She was 97.
She was in coma for the past three days after suffering a massive heart attack. The family announced that Sehgal had donated her body for medical research.
Sehgal`s daughter Subhashini Ali, a former member of Parliament, told a news agency that the family had decided to switch off the ventilator after doctors advised that her revival was impossible.
"We switched off the ventilator at around 11 am and she passed away at around 11.20 am," Ali said.
The body would be kept for people to pay their respects at her house in Mac Robertsganj and would be taken in a procession Tuesday to the SN Medical College, Ali said.
Doctors attending on Sehgal said that her vital parametres had slowed down since Saturday and all efforts to revive her failing organs had failed. She slipped into coma thereafter.
At the time of her death a large number of well-wishers, followers and local residents had gathered outside the hospital. Ali was at her side when the end came.
The first captain of the women`s wing of Azad Hind Fauj or Indian National Army, Sehgal was visited by CPI-M leaders Brinda and Prakash Karat and filmmaker and grandson Shaad Ali.
Sehghal, herself a doctor, was working at her clinic in Civil Lines area here a day before she suffered a heart attack. Sehgal was the Left candidate in the 2002 Presidential election, when she lost to APJ Abdul Kalam.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know