Freedom fighters closer to Mahatma than me: Rajmohan Gandhi
Kozhikode: Rajmohan Gandhi, grandson of
Mahatma Gandhi, today said the valiant freedom fighters were
closer to the Mahatma than him as they spread non-violence and
peace espoused by the Father of the Nation.
"If I am related to Mahatma Gandhi by blood, the valiant
freedom fighters represented the spirit of non-violence and
peace and are closer to the Mahatma than me," he said,
inaugurating the year-long function to commemorate the 75th
year of Mahatma Gandhi`s visit to the Mathrubhumi Daily`s
office here this day in 1934.
During the freedom struggle, majority of the countrymen
believed that their life was put at stake by opposing British
rulers and the "magnificient" people must be lauded for the
great "risk" they took by plunging into the freedom struggle,
he said, paying tributes to surviving freedom fighters in the
"Mathrubhumi reflected fearless voice of the thirst for
dignity, freedom and self-respect of people of Malabar and the
daily must continue to inspire young generation to face
emerging global challenges faced by India," he said.
Mahatma Gandhi had visited the `Mathrubhumi` office here
to unveil the portrait of K Madhavan Nair, founder Managing
Director of the daily.
Presiding, Mathrubhumi Managing Director M P Veerendra
Kumar said the daily would host year-long celebrations to
commemorate Gandhiji`s visit. Present day society needed to be
inculcated with Gandhian values than ever before, Veerendra
Kumar, a Socialist leader, said.
Thirty-six freedom fighters from Kozhikode and Malappuram
districts were honoured at the function.
A memento was presented to them by Rajmohan Gandhi, also
a veteran journalist and writer.
A CD titled `Priya Bapu` narrating the life and struggle
of the Mahatma was released at the function.
Noted Gandhian P Gopinathan Nair and Malayalam poet
`Akkitham` were among those who attended the function.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble