Freedom fighters closer to Mahatma than me: Rajmohan Gandhi
Kozhikode: Rajmohan Gandhi, grandson of
Mahatma Gandhi, today said the valiant freedom fighters were
closer to the Mahatma than him as they spread non-violence and
peace espoused by the Father of the Nation.
"If I am related to Mahatma Gandhi by blood, the valiant
freedom fighters represented the spirit of non-violence and
peace and are closer to the Mahatma than me," he said,
inaugurating the year-long function to commemorate the 75th
year of Mahatma Gandhi`s visit to the Mathrubhumi Daily`s
office here this day in 1934.
During the freedom struggle, majority of the countrymen
believed that their life was put at stake by opposing British
rulers and the "magnificient" people must be lauded for the
great "risk" they took by plunging into the freedom struggle,
he said, paying tributes to surviving freedom fighters in the
"Mathrubhumi reflected fearless voice of the thirst for
dignity, freedom and self-respect of people of Malabar and the
daily must continue to inspire young generation to face
emerging global challenges faced by India," he said.
Mahatma Gandhi had visited the `Mathrubhumi` office here
to unveil the portrait of K Madhavan Nair, founder Managing
Director of the daily.
Presiding, Mathrubhumi Managing Director M P Veerendra
Kumar said the daily would host year-long celebrations to
commemorate Gandhiji`s visit. Present day society needed to be
inculcated with Gandhian values than ever before, Veerendra
Kumar, a Socialist leader, said.
Thirty-six freedom fighters from Kozhikode and Malappuram
districts were honoured at the function.
A memento was presented to them by Rajmohan Gandhi, also
a veteran journalist and writer.
A CD titled `Priya Bapu` narrating the life and struggle
of the Mahatma was released at the function.
Noted Gandhian P Gopinathan Nair and Malayalam poet
`Akkitham` were among those who attended the function.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Markandey Katju lambasts Umar Khalid over Burhan Wani, Azadi for Kashmir demand – Know what he said
- Nintendo's Mario eyes a Mickey Mouse merchandising makeover
- Hepatitis prevention: Protect your liver with these useful tips
- PROMO alert! Hrithik Roshan as Sarman in 'Mohenjo Daro' —Watch now
- Salim Khan recalls Rajesh Khanna’s stardom, responds to Naseeruddin Shah’s ‘bitter’ remarks about first superstar