‘Freedom Fighters should be treated with respect’
Kochi: Observing that those who were part of
the freedom struggle should be treated with respect, the
Kerala High Court pulled up the Ernakulam District Collector
for rejecting the claim of an applicant for the freedom
The court, presided by justice S Sirijagan, was critical
of the actions of the collector M Beena, who had rejected the
application of V B Joseph of Kaloor and said, "This was not
the way a person claiming to be a freedom fighter should be
"He is entitled to more respect since it is because of
the sufferings of persons like him that the District Collector
is comfortable in an air-conditioned room to pass such
orders," the judge observed.
Even if the petitioner is not entitled to pension, the
Collector was bound to treat him with respect, the court said,
chiding the official.
The court directed the Collector to reconsider the matter
and to explain why documents produced by the petitioner were
not accepted as evidence for his claim for the pension.
The case has to be considered in a month`s time, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere