Freedom from unsolicited SMS in 6 weeks: Sibal
New Delhi: Millions of mobile phone users will be able to get rid of the menace of unsolicited text messages (SMS) in six weeks when DND (do not disturb) number 1909 becomes operational, Telecom Minister Kapil Sibal said on Wednesday.
Mobile phone users can opt for not receiving text SMS in seven categories like real estate, credit cards, consumer durables, banking and finance by registering their number in National Do-Not-Call (NDNC) registry by calling or sending SMS to toll-free number 1909, he said in the Rajya Sabha.
"This will be in place in next six weeks," he said during Question Hour, adding users can opt for not receiving messages for any of the seven categories or all of these.
Once a number is registered, the server will block any unsolicited text message if a tele-marketer ties to send it.
"If you register, you would not get those messages," he said.
The NDNC Registry is a database having the list of all telephone numbers of subscribers who do not want to receive UCC "Unsolicited Commercial Communication".
Sibal said the government will impose "very high fines" for tele-marketers violating the DND.
On first offence a fine of Rs 25,000 will be imposed and a similar amount will be imposed on subsequent five offences after which the registration of the telemarketer will be cancelled.
Disconnection of telecom resources of defaulting telemarketers and provision of blacklisting them have also been provided in the Telecom Commercial Communications Customer Preference Regulations, 2010, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand