French national arrested with party drug Ketamine
New Delhi: A 31-year-old French national was arrested here for allegedly being in possession of eight kgs of party drug `Ketamine` worth around Rs 80 lakh, police said on Thursday.
Bregand Oliver was apprehended from Paharganj area yesterday on a tip off about his alleged involvement in drug peddling, Sanjay Kumar Jain, Deputy Commissioner of Police (Crime), said.
He told the police that after completing his graduation in agricultural studies, he joined his family business of selling chicken. He first came to India in June 2010 on tourist visa and stayed here for two months.
Oliver again came to India as tourist in 2011 and visited Goa where he came in contact with drug addicts and started consuming Ketamine.
He then came to Delhi where he met an alleged drug trafficker Nagender and started taking dose of Ketamine for himself as well as supplying the same to groups of foreigners.
"Oliver then went back to his country and planned to make huge money by exporting Ketamine from India to foreign countries. This time he came to India on multiple visa in July 2012 and stayed in a hotel at Paharganj.
"On the day of his arrest, he brought huge quantity of Ketamine to export through courier," Jain said.
Due to rising illicit use of Ketamine as a `party drug`, a special notification was issued by the Centre in February last year covering the drug as a psychotropic substance under NDPS Act apart from Drugs and Cosmetics Act.
Ketamine is popularly known as `K` or `Kat`. If Ketamine is repeatedly taken in large doses, it can induce unconsciousness and failure of cardiovascular system, leading to death.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Suspicious Iranian boat seized off Kerala coast, Pakistani ID card recovered