French Naval destroyer FNS Montcalm to undertake joint training
New Delhi: French Naval destroyer FNS Montcalm will make a five-day port call in Goa from Saturday and undertake joint training activities with the Indian Navy.
Third among seven F-70 type Destroyers, FNS Montcalm was commissioned into the French Navy in 1982 and is designed for anti-submarine warfare.
"Among the highlights of her mission are training activities planned with the Indian Navy after the port visit," the French Embassy said here today.
It will contribute to strengthening the "ever higher degree of cooperation" between French and Indian navies since the two countries signed their strategic partnership in 1998, the statement said, adding French Ambassador Francois Richier will also be present on the occasion.
"FNS Montcalm is capable of performing all tasks dedicated to escort ships, from crisis prevention to aircraft carrier or amphibious battle group protection. Her detection and action capabilities are enhanced by her shipborne Lynx helicopter, fitted with its redoubtable Anti-Submarine Warfare sonar," it said.
Based in Toulon, FNS Montcalm is part of the French Naval Action Force. Capable of being deployed anywhere in the world, the warship operates mainly in the Mediterranean Sea and in the Indian Ocean.
"Since 2001, she has notably taken part in operation Herakles, the French contribution to coalition operations in Afghanistan. In later years, the Destroyer Montcalm has ensured protection and surveillance of sea traffic in the Indian Ocean," the release said.
In 2011 the destroyer participated in civilian protection operations in Libya codenamed as Operation Harmattan.
Considering the permanent presence of French Navy in Indian Ocean, FNS Montcalm has been deployed there since March 2013 under Task Force 150.
"Calling at Goa after visits at Bahrain and Abu Dhabi, the French Destroyer Montcalm will contribute to strengthening the ever higher degree of cooperation between French and Indian navies since the two countries signed their strategic partnership in 1998," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'