French official faces arrest over rape charge
Bangalore/New Delhi: Pascal Mazurier, the French official in Bangalore who is accused of raping his 3-year-old daughter, faces arrest after the Centre and France on Monday made it clear that he does not enjoy any diplomatic immunity and that police can take action against him.
Police have registered a case of rape against Mazurier, Deputy Head of Chancery in the Consulate of France, Bangalore.
"An investigation is under way for which this Consulate General is extending its full cooperation with the police and the authorities in charge in the matter," a statement issued by the Consulate-General of France said.
French government sources said in Delhi that Indian law will take its course as the accused working in its Bangalore Consulate does not hold a diplomatic passport and enjoys no immunity.
The Union Home Ministry has asked the Karnataka Police to approach the French Consul General in Banglaore to get access to Mazurier.
Official sources said Mazurier is now taking shelter at the Consulate nd has not come out of the complex.
Since the diplomatic mission is a French property, police so far have not been able to enter it and hence no action has been taken against him.
"We have asked the Karnataka Police to approach the French Consul General to get access to Mazurier," a source said.
Meanwhile, External Affairs Ministry sources said Mazurier "holds a service passport and not a diplomatic passport" and does not have diplomatic immunity. He can be tried in India, they said.
Police sources said the charges against him are fit for an arrest.
Mazurier`s wife Suja Jones, an Indian citizen, has accused him of of raping their daughter and has requested that he be restrained from leaving the country till legal proceedings were completed and that under no circumstance should he be allowed custody of their three children who are French nationals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- British tourist masturbated at in Mumbai; Indian men apologise
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now