French official faces arrest over rape charge
Bangalore/New Delhi: Pascal Mazurier, the French official in Bangalore who is accused of raping his 3-year-old daughter, faces arrest after the Centre and France on Monday made it clear that he does not enjoy any diplomatic immunity and that police can take action against him.
Police have registered a case of rape against Mazurier, Deputy Head of Chancery in the Consulate of France, Bangalore.
"An investigation is under way for which this Consulate General is extending its full cooperation with the police and the authorities in charge in the matter," a statement issued by the Consulate-General of France said.
French government sources said in Delhi that Indian law will take its course as the accused working in its Bangalore Consulate does not hold a diplomatic passport and enjoys no immunity.
The Union Home Ministry has asked the Karnataka Police to approach the French Consul General in Banglaore to get access to Mazurier.
Official sources said Mazurier is now taking shelter at the Consulate nd has not come out of the complex.
Since the diplomatic mission is a French property, police so far have not been able to enter it and hence no action has been taken against him.
"We have asked the Karnataka Police to approach the French Consul General to get access to Mazurier," a source said.
Meanwhile, External Affairs Ministry sources said Mazurier "holds a service passport and not a diplomatic passport" and does not have diplomatic immunity. He can be tried in India, they said.
Police sources said the charges against him are fit for an arrest.
Mazurier`s wife Suja Jones, an Indian citizen, has accused him of of raping their daughter and has requested that he be restrained from leaving the country till legal proceedings were completed and that under no circumstance should he be allowed custody of their three children who are French nationals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you