French official faces arrest over rape charge
Bangalore/New Delhi: Pascal Mazurier, the French official in Bangalore who is accused of raping his 3-year-old daughter, faces arrest after the Centre and France on Monday made it clear that he does not enjoy any diplomatic immunity and that police can take action against him.
Police have registered a case of rape against Mazurier, Deputy Head of Chancery in the Consulate of France, Bangalore.
"An investigation is under way for which this Consulate General is extending its full cooperation with the police and the authorities in charge in the matter," a statement issued by the Consulate-General of France said.
French government sources said in Delhi that Indian law will take its course as the accused working in its Bangalore Consulate does not hold a diplomatic passport and enjoys no immunity.
The Union Home Ministry has asked the Karnataka Police to approach the French Consul General in Banglaore to get access to Mazurier.
Official sources said Mazurier is now taking shelter at the Consulate nd has not come out of the complex.
Since the diplomatic mission is a French property, police so far have not been able to enter it and hence no action has been taken against him.
"We have asked the Karnataka Police to approach the French Consul General to get access to Mazurier," a source said.
Meanwhile, External Affairs Ministry sources said Mazurier "holds a service passport and not a diplomatic passport" and does not have diplomatic immunity. He can be tried in India, they said.
Police sources said the charges against him are fit for an arrest.
Mazurier`s wife Suja Jones, an Indian citizen, has accused him of of raping their daughter and has requested that he be restrained from leaving the country till legal proceedings were completed and that under no circumstance should he be allowed custody of their three children who are French nationals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark