French Prez`s companion visits orphanage
New Delhi: Children at an orphanage here were left awestruck as Valerie Trierweiler, the companion of visiting French President Francois Hollande, took some of them on her lap for a cuddle while spending time with them.
As Hollande was busy holding talks with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and other top leaders on the first day of his visit, 47-year-old Trierweiler headed to a home for orphans which has been supported by the French embassy.
"I studied but there are no studies for becoming a first lady. I am trying to do my best," Trierweiler said jokingly when a 10-year-old boy asked her how to become a first lady.
Trierweiler said she wants to champion the cause of children`s welfare.
The children at the home presented impromptu songs and dance and a visibly moved Trierweiler picked some of the children onto her lap. She also presented them gifts.
The Government of India has extended all courtesies to Trierweiler, a twice-divorced mother of three, as per protocol given to a first lady.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...