Fresh clashes erupt between police, protesters in Assam
Zee Media Bureau/Deepak Nagpal
Guwahati: Fresh clashes broke out in Assam`s Golaghat district on Wednesday, with police opening fire on protesters, as per TV reports.
The police opened fire on protesters who were marching towards a blockade on the NH-37.
Reports claimed that two persons have been killed in the fresh firing, but there was no official confirmation of the same.
Earlier this morning, a large number of people blocked the NH-37 by burning tyres and felling trees on the road at Borsapori, Borjuri and Kuruwabahi in protest against the police action in Rongajan in Golaghat district.
Also today, Prime Minister Narendra Modi sought a report from the Home Ministry on clashes that took place along Assam-Nagaland border.
"We have already submitted the report to the PMO," MHA sources said. The report was sent within hours of the PMO`s communication seeking details of the situation.
The development came after Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi, amid rising tensions on the border, blamed the Modi government for failing to contain violence there.
The Centre, on its part, said it could only assist the state government in containing the violence.
“The Centre can only deploy security forces, to regulate them is the state government`s job. The Centre cannot be held responsible for failing to contain violence on the Assam-Nagaland border,” Minister of State for Home Kiren Rijiju asserted.
At least nine persons were killed on the Assam side of border on August 12 allegedly by armed groups from Nagaland.
After the killings, nearly 10,000 people fled their homes in seven villages of Golaghat district in Assam.
The Narendra Modi government yesterday rushed around 1,000 additional paramilitary personnel for deployment along the Assam-Nagaland border.
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi is slated to meet his Nagaland counterpart TR Zeliang in Guwahati on August 21 to discuss the current problems in the border areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in 92 seats, BJP ahead in 73; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena maintains grip on Mumbai, BJP dominates other cities
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway