Fresh clashes erupt in Assam`s violence-hit Golaghat district
Zee Media Bureau/Deepak Nagpal
Guwahati: Notwithstanding the indefinite curfew imposed in trouble-torn district of Golaghat in Assam, fresh clashes took place between the police and protesters on Thursday.
As per PTI, police fired in the air and burst tear gas shells to disperse protesters who were attempting to block National Highway at Numalimargh in Golaghat district.
A policeman was injured in the clashes as protesters threw stones at police vehicles damaging one of them.
Meanwhile, Minister of State for Home Kiren Rijiju will today visit the Golaghat district amid escalating tensions along the border with Nagaland.
Rijiju, who is in Guwahati, will also hold talks with Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi and his Nagaland counterpart TR Zeliang on the matter.
"We are here to assist the state government. We sent additional forces as demanded by the state government. Now it is for the state government to use to forces... This is a matter to solve between two state governments and the Centre has to see," Rijiju was quoted as saying this morning before departing for Guwahati.
In Golaghat, the situation continues to remain tense and a curfew is in place.
The Army staged flag marches from Golaghat town to Rangajan, Bokakhat and Numaligarh on trucks mounted with guns and red flags. The district administration urged people over the public address system to remain indoors in the curfew-bound areas.
Opposition political party AGP has today called a 12-hour dawn-to-dusk shutdown today.
Over the last two days, clashes have taken place between the police and protesters at Rangajon in Golaghat district. Three people have lost their lives in the clashes - two of them apparently died in police firing.
The first clash took place on Tuesday when police initially used batons and tear gas and then opened fire to disperse protesters blocking the National Highway 36 that leads to Nagaland. At least 21 people were injured and one was crushed to death by a truck during Tuesday`s clash.
On Wednesday, the second clash broke out and two persons were killed in alleged police firing. The police, however, claimed that they had only fired rubber bullets to disperse the violent mob.
One police constable has so far been suspended in connection with the clashes.
Also, National Highway 36 continued to remain blocked with protesters burning tyres and felling trees at several locations.
The tensions in Golaghat started last week after armed insurgents, allegedly from Nagaland, killed at least nine people in seven villages along the border on August 12.
Over 10,000 villagers have left their homes and taken refuge in relief camps since then.
“Nine people have been killed till now in the violence. There should be a joint effort to bring back peace,” Assam DGP Khagen Sharma said today.
Assam CM Gogoi has held the Centre responsible for failing to contain violence, claiming it "was not proactive in helping us". The Centre refuted the charge, with MoS Home Rijiju saying they had deployed central forces and it was upto the state government to use them.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has already asked for a report from the Home Ministry on the situation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015