‘Fresh evidence may reopen Sarabjit case’
Chandigarh: Giving a ray of hope to the family of Sarabjit Singh, who is on death row in Pakistan, his lawyer on Monday said there is fresh evidence to prove his innocence in 1990 blasts case and he has filed a fresh mercy petition.
"Sarabjit`s is a case of mistaken identity. I have collected ample evidence against the real culprit which will be presented in court," Sarabjit`s lawyer Awais Sheikh, who is in the city to attend a seminar, told reporters.
He said he has filed a fresh mercy petition seeking either Sarabjit`s release or commuting his death sentence and has also written to the Chief Justice of Pakistan in pursuit of reopening of the two-decades-old case.
Sarabjit was convicted for his alleged involvement in the 1990 bomb blasts in Lahore and Multan in which many people were killed. He is presently imprisoned at a Lahore jail after being awarded death sentence by a Pakistan court.
Sheikh said the main accused in the case was Manjeet Singh, whose name appears in the FIR on the basis of which Sarabjit was arrested.
"In the FIR, the name of the accused had been mentioned as Manjeet Singh and not Sarabjit Singh," he said.
"Manjeet was a fraud and had also been arrested by the Canadian police and kept in jail for three years. I have collected evidence on Manjeet`s presence in Pakistan at the time of the blasts and a photo of his marriage with a Pakistani woman," Sheikh said.
He said he has brought with him letters written by Sarabjit for Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Congress chief Sonia Gandhi and BJP leader LK Advani.
He has also brought hand-made gifts sent by Sarabjit for Sonia Gandhi and his daughter Swapandeep Kaur.
Sheikh met Punjab Congress chief Amarinder Singh who said he would hand over the letters and gifts to Gandhi.
"(Sarabjit`s case) is a question of doubt and normally in such circumstances a person is pardoned," Amarinder said.
Talking about Sarabjit`s well-being in jail, Sheikh said he is in "very good" health, though his eye sight had become weak and he has provided him spectacles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends