Fresh extension to JPC on 2G scam
New Delhi: The JPC on 2G scam is set to get a fresh extension with the Lok Sabha on Monday unanimously adopting a resolution to this effect.
After the Rajya Sabha adopts the motion, likely to be moved tomorrow, the term of the Joint Parliamentary Committee will be extended till the end of the Monsoon session.
This will be the fifth extension to the JPC set up in March, 2011. The term of the committee was scheduled to end on May 10.
The resolution, moved by panel chief P C Chacko, was adopted unanimously.
The resolution to extend the tenure of the JPC was added as a supplementary agenda after Chacko and Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath consulted Lok Sabha Meira Kumar on the issue.
Chacko had recently said that if he could not convene a meeting of the JPC, he would individually consult the members to get their backing for the resolution seeking extension.
The decision by Chacko to seek a fresh extension of the JPC indicates that the controversial draft report circulated last month is unlikely to be adopted soon.
The draft report gave clean chit to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Finance Minister P Chidambaram and indicted former Telecom Minister A Raja for the 2G scam.
Fifteen members from Opposition parties including from former UPA allies DMK and Trinamool Congress, had earlier written separate letters to the Speaker contending that they have "no confidence" in the JPC Chairman and had appealed to her to immediately remove him. They had also rejected the draft report "in toto".
The Speaker has expressed her inability to remove him as Chairman and had asked members to "sink" their differences and produce a report.
While SP has not sought Chacko`s removal, it has made it clear that till Raja is not called as a witness, it would not support the report. SP has one member in the panel. BSP, with two members, is likely to side with UPA.
Chacko has said that while the text of the draft would not be altered, members can move amendments in the form of dissent notes which can be appended to the report to be tabled in Parliament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state