Fresh extension to JPC on 2G scam
New Delhi: The JPC on 2G scam is set to get a fresh extension with the Lok Sabha on Monday unanimously adopting a resolution to this effect.
After the Rajya Sabha adopts the motion, likely to be moved tomorrow, the term of the Joint Parliamentary Committee will be extended till the end of the Monsoon session.
This will be the fifth extension to the JPC set up in March, 2011. The term of the committee was scheduled to end on May 10.
The resolution, moved by panel chief P C Chacko, was adopted unanimously.
The resolution to extend the tenure of the JPC was added as a supplementary agenda after Chacko and Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath consulted Lok Sabha Meira Kumar on the issue.
Chacko had recently said that if he could not convene a meeting of the JPC, he would individually consult the members to get their backing for the resolution seeking extension.
The decision by Chacko to seek a fresh extension of the JPC indicates that the controversial draft report circulated last month is unlikely to be adopted soon.
The draft report gave clean chit to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Finance Minister P Chidambaram and indicted former Telecom Minister A Raja for the 2G scam.
Fifteen members from Opposition parties including from former UPA allies DMK and Trinamool Congress, had earlier written separate letters to the Speaker contending that they have "no confidence" in the JPC Chairman and had appealed to her to immediately remove him. They had also rejected the draft report "in toto".
The Speaker has expressed her inability to remove him as Chairman and had asked members to "sink" their differences and produce a report.
While SP has not sought Chacko`s removal, it has made it clear that till Raja is not called as a witness, it would not support the report. SP has one member in the panel. BSP, with two members, is likely to side with UPA.
Chacko has said that while the text of the draft would not be altered, members can move amendments in the form of dissent notes which can be appended to the report to be tabled in Parliament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH