Fresh firing from Pak along international border in Jammu
Jammu: Indian forward
posts came under fresh fire from across the border here this
morning leading the BSF to retaliate, the second such incident
in less than ten hours.
Last night, two BSF jawans were injured in firing from
Pakistani side when they were trying to foil an infiltration
bid from across the border.
During the checking of border fencing around 0630
hours this morning, there was firing from Illyas post from
Pakistani side on Nikowal forward belt along IB and BSF troops
retaliated resulting in exchanges for some time, Inspector
General, BSF frontier Jammu, A K Sarolia told a news agency.
Sarolia, who is supervising search, combing and
sanitisation operation along the International Border (IB) in
Pargwal forward area in Akhnoor tehsil of the district, said
there was no casualty in the exchanges this morning.
Referring to reports of infiltration of four militants
during the heavy exchange of fire last night, the IG said,
"There was no cutting in the fencing. We have checked the
fencing and saw no breach in it".
"We will again resume physical checking of border
which was stalled due to firing and will also take manual
sanitisation of other sections of the border in the area to
see whether any infiltration has taken place", Sarolia said,
adding so far they have not found any signs of infiltration in
There was heavy firing from Pakistani side on India`s
Nikowal forward area in Pargwal belt of Jammu district from
1845 hours to 2350 hours last night which was replied by BSF
troops manning the area, resulting in exchanges between the
Referring to ceasefire violation, Sarolia said it is
yet to be ascertained whether the firing was opened by the
Pakistani troops or militants.
"Possibly it looks that militants have fired to
infiltrate into this side. But there is a possibility of
active support by the Pakistani rangers", he said, adding a
conclusion can be arrived at only after studying the ground
evidence and weaponry used in the firing.
A major cordon, search and sanitisation operation was
launched by the BSF and police in the Pargwal forward area
after sealing all entry and exit routes to the area.
"The search and combing operation is on", Sarolia said
adding security set up has been put on alert all along the
border in view of intelligence reports that militants have
been staged along the borderline to cross over to this side.
A large number of security personnel have been
deployed in the entire Pargwal area to find out if any
militant has entered into this side under the cover of firing.
Last night`s attempt by militants to infiltrate was
the third such attempt from across the border in September. On
September 1, an army jawan was killed in cross border firing
during an infiltration attempt in Balnoie forward post in
Mendhar tehsil of Poonch district.
On September 9, three infiltrating militants and an
army major were killed when army foiled an infiltration bid in
Mendhar tehsil of Poonch district.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today