Fresh gunbattle in J&K`s Kupwara district
Srinagar: A gunbattle erupted between
militants and security forces in a village in Kupwara district
of North Kashmir this afternoon, official sources said.
The gunfight was initiated by militants when they opened
fire from automatic rifles on a joint search party of police
and army at village Sajipora-Handwara, 80 kms from here,
around 2.00 pm, the sources said.
The security forces returned the fire, triggering a
gunbattle which continued till late afternoon, the sources
said adding there was no immediate report of any casualty on
the either side.
They said the village was cordoned off by security forces
early today following information about presence of a group of
This is the second encounter in Handwara belt within four
days. Earlier, two Pakistani militants were killed by the
security forces at Shah Nagri forest on Saturday last.
Prior to the Shah Nagri encounter, security forces gunned
down six militants including five suspected foreign ultras in
the nearby Rafiabad belt, 65 kms from here in Baramulla
district on Friday. Two Army personnel were also killed in the
encounter which lasted over 24 hours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love