Fresh inquiry into train disaster will cause delays: CPI(M)
New Delhi: CPI(M) on Tuesday said investigations
into the Jnaneswari Express derailment by state CID was almost
over and any fresh inquiry would result in a delay in the
truth coming out in the incident.
Senior CPI(M) Politburo member Sitaram Yechury told
reporters here that the probe by the West Bengal CID was in
the final stages.
He said "The Union Home Minister concurred with the view
of the state Chief Minister... It was decided that let the CID
inquiry complete. A fresh enquiry will result in delay."
The West Bengal government had yesterday ruled out a CBI
inquiry into the May 28 Jnaneswari Express disaster in West
Midnapore district which claimed 148 lives.
"The CID probe has progressed a great deal and the state
government does not feel that a parallel inquiry is
necessary," Home Secretary Samar Ghosh had said.
However, Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee has alleged a
"political conspiracy" behind the disaster and has been
demanding for a CBI investigation.
She had said that Railways had requested the Home
Ministry for a CBI probe since the mishap took place in
`jangalmahal` where joint operations against Naxals were on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?