Fresh rift in Team Anna: Muslim member quits
New Delhi: Team Anna member Mufti Shameen Kazmi parted his ways with the group after he was allegedly found recording the proceedings of core committee.
“Kazmi was secretly recording the proceedings of the core committee meeting using his mobile phone,” Team Anna sources said. They believed that he was sending the recorded audio to some journalists.
The incident happened when Team Anna was discussing the group`s future strategies, including their alliance with yoga guru Baba Ramdev.
Kazmi stormed out of the core committee meeting and announced his resignation to the media outside the venue.
On his part Kazmi claimed that he quit the movement as it was turning “anti-Muslim”.
He alleged that prominent Team Anna members Arvind Kejriwal and Manish Sisodia were turning out to be "authoritarians".
"I have been with the movement since its beginning. Anna is a good man. Kejriwal and Sisodia were using him for their own purpose," he added.
"I was the lone Muslim member in Team Anna Core Committee and I am out of it now. They don`t want Muslims in it," he added.
Earlier, Swami Agnivesh had to leave Team Anna after an anonymous video clipping during Hazare’s hunger strike in August last year purportedly had shown him talking to an unidentified person asking him to deal sternly with Hazare.
Earlier, two activists P V Rajagopal and Rajinder Singh had quit the team due to differences.
Team Anna met here to discuss its future course of action against the backdrop of some members reportedly expressing their disagreement in the way in which Hazare was forced to address a press meet along with Ramdev after both had discussions.
Hazare was present at the meeting which was also attended by other prominent members, including Arvind Kejriwal, Shanti Bhushan, Prashant Bhushan and Kiran Bedi.
At the press conference in Gurgaon two days ago, Hazare and Ramdev announced a series of agitations starting from May 1 and followed by a joint fast at Jantar Mantar on June 3. On May 1, Hazare will start his agitation from Shirdi while Ramdev will embark on a yatra from Durg in Chhattisgarh.
After an on-and-off relationship for about an year, Hazare had announced last month that both Team Anna and Ramdev will support each other and will participate in each other`s agitations against corruption.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends