Fresh showers, snowfall in parts of north India
New Delhi: Rain and snowfall were back in north India today which brought day temperatures down in some places.
Delhi, however, had clear skies where the maximum rose by three notches above normal to touch 28.4 degrees Celsius on a sunny day.
The national capital had experienced showers last weekend but remained dry today with the minimum temperature settling at 12.2 degrees, normal for this time of the year.
Kashmir Valley received fresh snowfall in the morning after being lashed by overnight rain which caused waterlogging in many areas, including commercial hub Lal Chowk in Srinagar.
The snowfall saw mercury coming down in most parts of the Valley, including Srinagar, although temperatures stayed above the freezing point.
The ski resort of Gulmarg experienced a low of -6 degrees while Kargil was the coldest place in the state at -9.6 degrees.
The fresh snowfall and landslides at many places along the arterial Jammu-Srinagar National Highway led to the road being closed to vehicular traffic today.
A Traffic Department spokesman said efforts to clear the 294-km highway, the only road link between the Valley and the rest of the country, were being hampered by inclement weather conditions.
Himachal Pradesh continued to grapple with intense cold conditions as higher reaches received fresh snowfall while the middle and lower hills had widespread rain.
Keylong in Lahaul and Spiti district and Tissa in Chamba received 14 cm and 10 cm of snowfall respectively.
The minimum temperatures in Himachal did not show any appreciable change and Keylong recorded a low of -2.7 degrees with the mercury settling at 3.2 degrees in both Shimla and Manali.
Punjab and Haryana, too, experienced rainfall with the MeT department predicting same conditions tomorrow across both the states.
The common capital of Chandigarh received 7.8 mm of rain and recorded a low of 14.9 degrees while Amritsar in Punjab, got 7.6 mm of rain.
In Haryana, Ambala recorded a low of 11.4 degrees and received 0.6 mm of rain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Eight killed, seven injured after jeep falls into deep gorge in Uttarakhand's Tehri Garhwal
- Masked men raise Pakistan, ISIS flags in Kashmir; stones pelted at policemen
- West Virginia floods: 20 dead, several stranded - Damage is widespread and devastating
- US Senator praises NSG after India failed to get membership
- England vs Sri Lanka, 2nd ODI: Alex Hales, Jason Roy power hosts to crushing win