Fresh showers, snowfall in parts of north India
New Delhi: Rain and snowfall were back in north India today which brought day temperatures down in some places.
Delhi, however, had clear skies where the maximum rose by three notches above normal to touch 28.4 degrees Celsius on a sunny day.
The national capital had experienced showers last weekend but remained dry today with the minimum temperature settling at 12.2 degrees, normal for this time of the year.
Kashmir Valley received fresh snowfall in the morning after being lashed by overnight rain which caused waterlogging in many areas, including commercial hub Lal Chowk in Srinagar.
The snowfall saw mercury coming down in most parts of the Valley, including Srinagar, although temperatures stayed above the freezing point.
The ski resort of Gulmarg experienced a low of -6 degrees while Kargil was the coldest place in the state at -9.6 degrees.
The fresh snowfall and landslides at many places along the arterial Jammu-Srinagar National Highway led to the road being closed to vehicular traffic today.
A Traffic Department spokesman said efforts to clear the 294-km highway, the only road link between the Valley and the rest of the country, were being hampered by inclement weather conditions.
Himachal Pradesh continued to grapple with intense cold conditions as higher reaches received fresh snowfall while the middle and lower hills had widespread rain.
Keylong in Lahaul and Spiti district and Tissa in Chamba received 14 cm and 10 cm of snowfall respectively.
The minimum temperatures in Himachal did not show any appreciable change and Keylong recorded a low of -2.7 degrees with the mercury settling at 3.2 degrees in both Shimla and Manali.
Punjab and Haryana, too, experienced rainfall with the MeT department predicting same conditions tomorrow across both the states.
The common capital of Chandigarh received 7.8 mm of rain and recorded a low of 14.9 degrees while Amritsar in Punjab, got 7.6 mm of rain.
In Haryana, Ambala recorded a low of 11.4 degrees and received 0.6 mm of rain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview