Fresh showers, snowfall in parts of north India
New Delhi: Rain and snowfall were back in north India today which brought day temperatures down in some places.
Delhi, however, had clear skies where the maximum rose by three notches above normal to touch 28.4 degrees Celsius on a sunny day.
The national capital had experienced showers last weekend but remained dry today with the minimum temperature settling at 12.2 degrees, normal for this time of the year.
Kashmir Valley received fresh snowfall in the morning after being lashed by overnight rain which caused waterlogging in many areas, including commercial hub Lal Chowk in Srinagar.
The snowfall saw mercury coming down in most parts of the Valley, including Srinagar, although temperatures stayed above the freezing point.
The ski resort of Gulmarg experienced a low of -6 degrees while Kargil was the coldest place in the state at -9.6 degrees.
The fresh snowfall and landslides at many places along the arterial Jammu-Srinagar National Highway led to the road being closed to vehicular traffic today.
A Traffic Department spokesman said efforts to clear the 294-km highway, the only road link between the Valley and the rest of the country, were being hampered by inclement weather conditions.
Himachal Pradesh continued to grapple with intense cold conditions as higher reaches received fresh snowfall while the middle and lower hills had widespread rain.
Keylong in Lahaul and Spiti district and Tissa in Chamba received 14 cm and 10 cm of snowfall respectively.
The minimum temperatures in Himachal did not show any appreciable change and Keylong recorded a low of -2.7 degrees with the mercury settling at 3.2 degrees in both Shimla and Manali.
Punjab and Haryana, too, experienced rainfall with the MeT department predicting same conditions tomorrow across both the states.
The common capital of Chandigarh received 7.8 mm of rain and recorded a low of 14.9 degrees while Amritsar in Punjab, got 7.6 mm of rain.
In Haryana, Ambala recorded a low of 11.4 degrees and received 0.6 mm of rain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened