Fresh troubles for former KG Balakrishnan
Kochi: In fresh troubles for former CJI Justice K G Balakrishnan, the Income Tax investigation wing has begun a preliminary enquiry into the allegations of amassment of wealth by his family members.
Sources in the IT department told PTI that a `preliminary enquiry` was on.
Asked if anyone was questioned, the sources said `We are looking into the matter`, the sources said and refused to give any further details.
The Director General of Income Tax Investigation, E T Lukose, and other top officials are looking into the allegations against justice Balakrishnan`s two sons in law—P V Sreenijan and Benny and younger brother K G Bhaskaran, a special government pleader of the kerala high court who resigned after the allegations broke out on health grounds.
New allegations have surfaced that benny had purchased an office paying about rs 35 lakh in the posh marine drive near the high court while the going rate was over crores. He had also purchased various other properties.
Media reports had earlier alleged that Sreenijan had also purchased an office space in the posh area besides building a resort at thrissur and flats and properties, while Bhaskaran had bought landed properties in kerala and tamil nadu.
Meanwhile, in a campaign to mount pressure on the high court advocates association to move a resolution seeking jsutice Balakrishnan`s resignation and order a probe into the allegations, a group of lawyers of the High court today began a signature campaign.
Until the probe was over, justice balakrishnan should step down, they said.
The lawyers are likely to submit the notice to the association tomorrow.
Yesterday, a meeting of association to discuss a resolution on corruption in higher Judiciary failed to take any decision as two sections of advocates demanded and opposed specific ammendments seeking probe into the allegations.
The general body was called by the association to discuss the resolution to request a fact finding enquiry about the contents of letter submitted by former law minister Shanti Bhooshan alleging corruption in higher judiciary.
The meeting could not arrive at a consensus and suggested ammendments to the resolution specifically demanding a probe into allegations against justice Balakrishna`s two sons in law-- P V Sreenijan and Benny and younger borther K G Bhaskaran, who are alleged to have amassed properties worth crores in Ernakulam and Thrissur districts during the last 4-5 years.
But many members had objected to the ammendments against justice Balakrishnan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India