Fresh violence at Osmania University campus
Hyderabad: Violence again broke out on Osmania University campus on Monday, the second time since Sunday evening, with pro-Telangana students taking to the streets.
Protesting the police firing and the baton charge on them Sunday night, the students took out a rally and threw stones at policemen and paramilitary personnel deployed on the campus.
The police hit back with batons once more. Eyewitnesses said some policemen were injured in stone pelting while a few students and media persons sustained injuries when police used force.
The fresh violence broke out a few hours after large-scale violence on the campus Sunday evening. More than 30 students and six media persons were injured when police fired rubber bullets and used batons and teargas shells.
The trouble had started when students tried to take out a procession hailing 15 Telangana legislators who resigned to protest terms of reference of Srikrishna panel looking into the statehood issue.
State government and human rights commission have ordered separate probes into the incidents. Home Minister P Sabita Indra Reddy told reporters Monday that action would be taken against policemen if they were found guilty of using excessive force.
Meanwhile, tension prevailed at Moazzam Jahi market, a busy commercial area, when students tried to march towards the Assembly building to protest the violence at Osmania University. Police used force to disperse the students.
Police also locked the gates of Nizam College in Basheerbagh area to prevent students from marching towards the assembly, where unprecedented security arrangements have been made for the Budget Session which began Monday with the address of Governor ESL Narasimhan.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed