Fresh violence at Osmania University campus
Hyderabad: Violence again broke out on Osmania University campus on Monday, the second time since Sunday evening, with pro-Telangana students taking to the streets.
Protesting the police firing and the baton charge on them Sunday night, the students took out a rally and threw stones at policemen and paramilitary personnel deployed on the campus.
The police hit back with batons once more. Eyewitnesses said some policemen were injured in stone pelting while a few students and media persons sustained injuries when police used force.
The fresh violence broke out a few hours after large-scale violence on the campus Sunday evening. More than 30 students and six media persons were injured when police fired rubber bullets and used batons and teargas shells.
The trouble had started when students tried to take out a procession hailing 15 Telangana legislators who resigned to protest terms of reference of Srikrishna panel looking into the statehood issue.
State government and human rights commission have ordered separate probes into the incidents. Home Minister P Sabita Indra Reddy told reporters Monday that action would be taken against policemen if they were found guilty of using excessive force.
Meanwhile, tension prevailed at Moazzam Jahi market, a busy commercial area, when students tried to march towards the Assembly building to protest the violence at Osmania University. Police used force to disperse the students.
Police also locked the gates of Nizam College in Basheerbagh area to prevent students from marching towards the assembly, where unprecedented security arrangements have been made for the Budget Session which began Monday with the address of Governor ESL Narasimhan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Army Chief Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag appeals for peace in Kashmir
- Start dialogue process for peace in Kashmir, Ghulam Nabi Azad tells government
- Preggers Kareena Kapoor Khan to be Sabyasachi's showstopper at LFW finale?
- This is what Arvind Kejriwal said for PM Narendra Modi after sedition case against Ramya
- Nandita Das is a capable director: Nawazuddin Siddiqui