Frisking of MPs may come up in meet of Committee on Security
New Delhi: The issue of frisking of MPs could come up at an emergency meeting of the Committee on Security in Parliament Complex on Monday in the wake of the pepper spray attack in the Lok Sabha yesterday evoking outrage.
A Congress member from Telangana has complained to the Speaker for initiating criminal action against expelled party lawmaker L Rajagopal, who used pepper spray in the House, and TDP member Venugopal Reddy. Ponnam Prabhakar also told PTI that he will file a complaint with Parliament street police station.
Speaker Meira Kumar has directed that the Committee, headed by Deputy Speaker Karia Munda, discuss all security related matters.
"In order to consider the events in the House on Thursday, the Speaker has directed that an emergency meeting of the Committee on Security in Parliament Complex should be called on Monday," a Lok Sabha Secretariat release said.
The Committee will be examining all security-related matters including the means to prevent bringing of dangerous and life-threatening material into the Chamber of the House by the Members of Parliament, it said.
"The pros and cons about the various security measures that should be adopted will be considered in detail by the Committee", the release said without elaborating on the mechanism to be adopted.
Rajagopal attracted widespread condemnation after his use of pepper spray in the Lok Sabha to thwart introduction of the Telangana bill. The House had witnessed unprecedented ugly scenes.
The Speaker has dubbed the incident as a "blot" on India`s parliamentary traditions and insisted members maintain the highest standards of decorum and uphold democratic values which have been assiduously nurtured all these six decades in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row