From `bhujia` to Kareena, India shines in Maldives
Addu: India may be miles away
from Maldives, but its food, culture and films have won many
The first thing that one notices after landing in this
picturesque island nation is that the people here look like
any other regular Indian. Except for the traditional dressing
style, everything seems to be just the same.
Bollywood is popular here and this can be gauged by the
fact that most of the taxi drivers listen to a mix of latest
Hindi film numbers and western music.
"The younger generation seems to prefer more English
songs but for us, we enjoy Hindi songs," says Salim, a taxi
Asked which film star does he like, a Maldivian
interpreter with the Indian High Commission here said, "Saif`s
Many of Maldivian cuisines have an almost South Indian
flavour to it. The standard food item that you can find here
is the Maldivian chapati, similar to the one cooked in India,
but a little larger and thinner.
It seems the predominantly Muslim country also loves to
munch Indian snacks.
A visit to the supermarket here gives you a proof of
that. From Haldirams` `bhujia` to mixed mixture, one can find
On the bilateral front, India and Maldives have been
taking forward their cooperation in various areas.
India yesterday gifted to Maldives four lions made of
Military cooperation between the two countries is also
growing. The Indian navy has put in place a security ring
deploying warships around the tiny Island nation, which is
taking no chances with the security of the assembled SAARC
The Indian Navy has also been extending help to Maldives
to combat piracy.
India recently deployed a Dornier maritime surveillance
aircraft in Male. It has also gifted a fast attack craft to
the Maldivian maritime forces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'