‘Fronting Modi would prove detrimental to BJP’
Meerut: Having courted controversy earlier for praising Narendra Modi, Ghulam Mohammed Vastanvi, the ex-vice chancellor of Darul Uloom Deoband, has said that making the Gujarat Chief Minister the election campaign committee head of BJP will prove detrimental to the party.
"Bringing Modi forward will mean a loss of the Muslim vote bank for BJP. And by making Modi the election campaign committee head, the party itself has dug his own grave," Vastanvi told reporters.
Talking about education earlier, the 60-year-old former chief of the 145-year-old Islamic seminary stressed on people taking their own `Taleem` (education).
He claimed that the government may try harder but as long as people don`t follow their own education, no religious community will flourish.
Vastanvi also expressed his sympathy for people of flood hit states of Uttarakhand and Himachal Pradesh.
In July 2011, Vastanvi was sacked for praising Narendra Modi following his remarks on the Gujarat Chief Minister`s development policies and that Muslims should forget the communal riots of 2002 and move on, which had raised the hackles of the conservatives.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets