‘Fronting Modi would prove detrimental to BJP’
Meerut: Having courted controversy earlier for praising Narendra Modi, Ghulam Mohammed Vastanvi, the ex-vice chancellor of Darul Uloom Deoband, has said that making the Gujarat Chief Minister the election campaign committee head of BJP will prove detrimental to the party.
"Bringing Modi forward will mean a loss of the Muslim vote bank for BJP. And by making Modi the election campaign committee head, the party itself has dug his own grave," Vastanvi told reporters.
Talking about education earlier, the 60-year-old former chief of the 145-year-old Islamic seminary stressed on people taking their own `Taleem` (education).
He claimed that the government may try harder but as long as people don`t follow their own education, no religious community will flourish.
Vastanvi also expressed his sympathy for people of flood hit states of Uttarakhand and Himachal Pradesh.
In July 2011, Vastanvi was sacked for praising Narendra Modi following his remarks on the Gujarat Chief Minister`s development policies and that Muslims should forget the communal riots of 2002 and move on, which had raised the hackles of the conservatives.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi lays foundation stone of IARI at Barhi: As it happened
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report