Frustration may have driven Ram Singh to commit suicide: Tirath
New Delhi: Delhi gang-rape accused Ram Singh may have committed suicide in "frustration" over the prospect of being jailed for life, Women and Child Development Minister Krishna Tirath said on Monday.
"I think if such a thing has happened, then the Home Ministry or other agencies would hold an inquiry into it. But I don`t think there is such a thing when he is in jail and he knew that he would be punished.
"People were demanding death sentence for him but he was to be sentenced for life and perhaps because of frustration he may have done something. This would be known after the inquiry," she said when asked to comment on Singh`s lawyer`s contention that his client was murdered in jail.
The Minister said it would have been better if the law of the country had punished him.
"He has done one more crime as committing suicide is also a crime. But I think if he felt so guilty, it should send a message to others who indulge in such activities that such acts are not good and those who take women lightly, should change themselves," Tirath said.
Ram Singh allegedly committed suicide in a high-security cell in Tihar Jail early this morning.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan