Frustration may have driven Ram Singh to commit suicide: Tirath
New Delhi: Delhi gang-rape accused Ram Singh may have committed suicide in "frustration" over the prospect of being jailed for life, Women and Child Development Minister Krishna Tirath said on Monday.
"I think if such a thing has happened, then the Home Ministry or other agencies would hold an inquiry into it. But I don`t think there is such a thing when he is in jail and he knew that he would be punished.
"People were demanding death sentence for him but he was to be sentenced for life and perhaps because of frustration he may have done something. This would be known after the inquiry," she said when asked to comment on Singh`s lawyer`s contention that his client was murdered in jail.
The Minister said it would have been better if the law of the country had punished him.
"He has done one more crime as committing suicide is also a crime. But I think if he felt so guilty, it should send a message to others who indulge in such activities that such acts are not good and those who take women lightly, should change themselves," Tirath said.
Ram Singh allegedly committed suicide in a high-security cell in Tihar Jail early this morning.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Two ISIS operatives, planning to target religious places, arrested by Gujarat ATS