Fuel price hike: NDA calls for `Bharat Bandh`
New Delhi: Opposing the steep hike in petrol prices and spiralling prices of commodities, BJP-led national Democratic Alliance (NDA) has called for a nation-wide bandh on May 31.
Confirming the decision, NDA convenor and JDU president Sharad Yadav on Thursday said that all the partners of the opposition alliance have been consulted in this regard.
The alliance will also be talking to other parties for their support to the Bharat Bandh.
Rejecting Government`s argument that the hike in petrol prices has been done by petroleum companies as the pricing of petrol stands deregulated, Yadav said, "This is an eyewash... We (NDA) are going to observe a Bharat bandh on May 31."
He asked why the hike in petrol prices was not announced when Parliament was in session and why oil companies did so the very next day after the session got over.
Government has washed his hands off the decision on price hike but in reality it happens only when the Government wants. The Government will also be increasing prices of diesel and LPG after the Presidential elections get over," Yadav said.
The JD(U) chief accused the Government of being a "total failure" in checking prices of essential commodities.
"Common people are suffering due to wrong policies of the UPA Government. Prices of commodities are rising uncontrollably making it difficult for an average Indian to make both ends meet," he said.
This Government is pro-rich and not bothered about the poor, he charged.
The main opposition party also accused the government of mismanaging the economy and demanded a rollback in the hike.
The Congress-led central government on Wednesday came under fierce attack from the opposition and its own constituents over the sharpest petrol price hike ever of over Rs 7.50 a litre.
The decision, coming a day after the Budget Session of Parliament ended, created a political uproar with major political parties including BJP and CPI-Marxist leading the charge against the government.
With PTI Input
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail