Furnish proof on involvement of Maoists in Osmania: SC
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Tuesday
directed the Andhra Pradesh government to furnish "proof" of
the reported intelligence inputs to establish that Maoists
have infiltrated the Osmania University, the hotbed of the
ongoing Telangana agitation.
"Where is the input of the infiltration inside the
campus? What is the proof available? We would like to have
it," a bench of Justices GS Singhvi and Asok Kumar Ganguly
observed while passing the direction.
The apex court posted the matter for further hearing
for February 25 after senior counsel Harish Salve said inputs
would be furnished before the bench either tomorrow or the day
The apex court passed the direction after Salve
repeated the state`s arguments that deployment of paramilitary
forces was indispensable as the movement is instigated by the
The bench also extended till February 25 the stay
imposed on the AP High Court order directing withdrawal of the
paramilitary forces from the university campus.
A division bench of the High Court had on February 16
upheld the directions of a single judge to move out special
forces from Osmania University campus.
The state government had assailed the February 16
order, saying the High Court cannot order the removal of
paramilitary forces from the campus which is a hotbed of the
agitation for a separate Telangana state.
The bench had said the single judge was right in his
analysis that the Rapid Action Force personnel were deployed
in the university campus without any study of the situation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town