Future belongs to coalition governments: Mulayam Singh Yadav
Sangli (Maharashtra): Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav on Sunday said the era of one-party rule was over and the future belongs to coalition governments.
"Coalition government is the need of the country as no single party can come to power at Centre on its own strength," he said.
Samajwadi Party, with 22 MPs in the Lok Sabha, provides crucial outside support to Congress-led UPA-II at Centre.
"It is high time that parties, which have the common goal to achieve social change come together as in Maharashtra, Bihar and Uttar Pradesh," Yadav said.
He was addressing a public meeting commemorating the first death anniversary of veteran freedom fighter and pioneer of cooperative movement in Maharashtra, Nagnath Anna Naikwadi, at Valva village in the western Maharashtra district.
Yadav, who had served as Defence Minister in the United Front coalition government in 1996, linked "growing expenditure" on defence sector to the plight of farmers in the country.
"China which supports farmers and agriculture sector is far ahead of India. Farmers are paying the price for growing expenditure on defence sector, which is the result of not-so-cordial relations of India with neighbours Pakistan, China and Bangladesh. There is dire need to help farmers," he said.
He performed the ground breaking ceremony for the upcoming memorial of Naikwadi and that of the Ethanol-based project of Hutatma Sugar Factory at the village on the occasion.
To a question about his party organisation, Yadav said, "Samajwadi Party is no more a party of seniors but one comprising youths and women. That is why Akhilesh became chief minister of Uttar Pradesh."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video