Gadkari assures support in govt`s fight against terror
New Delhi: Development should be the priority, Bharatiya Janata Party`s (BJP) new chief Nitin Gadkari said Thursday while emphasising that he didn`t believe in criticism of the government for the sake of it.
"I don`t believe in the criticism for the sake of criticism. I have not chosen politics as a career. I believe politics is an instrument of socio-economic reform," Gadkari said in his first news conference after he took over as the BJP president last week.
"Development should be our priority."
He assured "full support" to the government in the fight against terrorism and Maoist insurgency.
"We should fight terrorism together and I assure full support to the government if it wants to fight it firmly," he said.
Gadkari said the belief that the BJP was anti-minority was far from the truth.
"I don`t believe in discrimination on the basis of religion and language. No such discriminations are acceptable. But appeasement of minorities had become the definition of secularism and appeasement of terrorists has now become the definition of secularism," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!